What is Keto?
Keto Diet or the ketogenic diet is low-carb, but a high-fat diet that has many health benefits and also helps to lose weight healthily. It can help lose more weight in the first 3 to 6 months than other foods. This diet replaces carbohydrate intake with fat. It puts the body in a metabolic state called ketosis, caused by the reduction of carbs. It may protect against diabetes, cancer, epilepsy diseases, and heart diseases. It is essential to know that it mostly focused on weight loss and not for its health benefits.
This diet is proved to help prevent acne because it brings down insulin, which usually is the main thing for breakouts. It is essential to know that if you start the Keto diet, you must be able to stay consistent because afterward, you go back to your healthy diet, it can be quite a problem for you if you are obese and have health issues. This diet can have its benefits as well as risks too.
5 Benefits of the Keto Diet:
1. People mainly follow this diet for weight loss; it reduces appetite, which means low intake of carbs and helps boost metabolism. It usually consists of food primarily for this diet that a person needs to take in specific amounts, which is generally enough to fill them up. It promotes weight loss at a faster rate than other types of diets.
2. It may protect brain function. It is found that the ketones generated with this diet help protect the brain and the nerve cells. It can manage diseases like Alzheimer’s disease. More research is going on how Keto has its effects on the brain.
3. It can reduce individual risk of cancers. As per research, it is found that the Keto diet may be a safe treatment to use with chemotherapy and radiation therapy. It is because it is somehow responsible for killing cancer cells.
4. Keto diet is also responsible for improving heart health. In this diet, people usually choose foods that help reduce the risk of heart diseases by reducing the level of cholesterol.
5. A study found that this diet can have beneficial effects in managing hormonal disorders, like PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome) and type 2 diabetes. Researchers found that Keto can improve several symptoms of PCOS like balancing hormone, weight loss, and stopping the levels of insulin from going up.
Risks of Keto Diet:
Though it looks like Keto may have a lot of health benefits, it has its risks. If someone remains in this diet for an extended period, it can cause kidney stones, excess protein in the blood, build of fat in the liver, and deficiencies of mineral and vitamins.
There are a few side effects of this diet, which may include vomiting, headaches, nausea, low tolerance of exercise, and constipation. These side effects usually happen in the starting because the body needs time to adjust to its new source of food. People with kidney disease, diabetes, eating disorders, and pregnant women should highly avoid this type of diet.
Following is the list of some foods which needs to be eaten on a Keto Diet:
1. Low – carb vegetables.
2. Cheese and butter.
4. Olive oil, Coconut oil, nut oils.
5. Plain Greek yogurt and cottage cheese.
6. Eggs and meat.
8. Heavy Cream.
9. Green leafy vegetables.
10. Nuts and seeds.
The Keto diet includes a wide variety of choices of foods that are nutritious, tasty, and healthy yet promotes weight loss, reduces blood sugar, and manage other health issues.